Matinicus Rock Light Poem
The following poem about Matinicus Rock Light was written by Hilda Thompson of Damariscotta, Maine, and appeared in the January 23, 1939 edition of the Rockland Courier Gazette…
Twenty miles from the mainland There is situated a clump of rocks, Known to every fisherman around, As a place where loneliness docks. On this lonely little isle A lighthouse station stands, Where sometimes waves lash very high As if at God’s commands.
Two towers reach into the sky, Although not both in use. They stand like lonely sentinels Where the birds delight to roost. On foggy days and snowy days, The fog horn sounds its blast To warn the boats that are hidden from view To be careful when they pass.
The Stonehouse and Covered Way Have stood there very long. Through snow and wind and water They have weathered many storms. The medricks and sea parrots Come in scores to build their nests, In every crack and crevice One can see their eggs at rest.
The lighthouse tender, Ilex, And the Hibiscus, too, Are always welcome visitors To the light station and its crew. To the keepers and their families, “The Rock” is a lonesome place. But the friendly gleam of the lighthouse Has brightened many a fisherman’s face.